Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mexico City Sojourn: Intro to Teotihuacan

I am so behind on blogging. How terrible-- my apologies. But by the end of the night, there should be a sea of new posts about last week's trip to Mexico City (aka "Mexico" or "D.F.")!! All in all, the state and city were beautiful, and we visited a lot of incredible sites. However, I still think I prefer Puebla's relative tranquility and small-city(?) charm.

The very first place we went to was an archaeological site, Teotihuacan, which was really cool (although, within the first 15 minutes a bee had somehow crawled up my sleeve and stung me when I tried to shoo it out-- was not too happy about that). BUT, bug complaints aside, I think this was my favorite archaeological site so far.

Teotihuacan is where those famous pyramids in Mexico are-- Los Piramides del Sol y de la Luna. The interesting thing about Teotihuacan is it's mystery: it was abandoned in nearly perfect form by the time the Aztecs found it. The Aztecs adopted it in a way, and believed it to be a city built by giants, by gods. In reality, debates still abound as to which tribe/ culture constructed the massive city complex. Either way, it dates back to around 150 BC. Just thinking about the sheer number of people, of all different civilizations, who passed over the same steps as me, was mind boggling.

Also, about those steps. I don't think they had many codes or regulations, and I'm sure ancient Mexicans were even smaller than modern ones, but so many of the steps of these structures are just terrible. It's almost terrifying to go up or down!

Group on the "Road of the Dead"

 At the bottom of Piramide del Sol

At the top with some of the girls and one of our awesome Profs, Roxana!

No comments:

Post a Comment